December 05, 2010

True or False ~ Are Poinsettias poison?

Poinsettias are not poisonous.    

They will cause more than perhaps a mild stomach upset if a part of the plant is eaten. The plant's taste is very bitter and not very edible at all. So usually, a leaf or two will give the message to a curious dog.

According to Poinsindex, "a 50 pound child would have to ingest 500-600 leaves to exceed experimental doses that found no toxicity." The white sticky sap however, may cause skin irritation in sensitive individuals.

Pet owners can rely on findings from the ASPCA. According to ASPCA,
"In reality, poinsettia ingestion typically produce only mild to moderate gastrointestinal tract irritation, which may include drooling, vomiting and/or diarrhea. Keeping this plant out of the reach of your pet to avoid stomach upset is still a good idea, but you need not banish the poinsettia from your home for fear of a fatal exposure."

We can now rejoice and resume adorning our homes now with a Poinsettia plant. It is advisable to monitor pets and small children, but at least we can have peace of mind that our beloved dog or cat will not die from ingesting a leaf or two.

Poinsettias are not only very ornamental plants, but they can also prove to provide health benefits. They seem to contribute in improving air quality in homes, effectively removing harmful pollutants such as Formaldehyde, commonly found in plywood.
Have a happy and safe holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment